With 2016 fading further into the recesses of our mind and the Stellar Awards fast approaching, it was perfect timing to take a look at ten terrific songs that seized the eardrums of devoted Gospel fans. These 10 tracks took you in and lifted you up through a turbulent year of terrorism, hostile politics and a divisive president.
1. Wanna Be Happy? – Kirk Franklin: The answer is a resounding YES !!!! Kirk posed the question and answered by the last bar. The melodic tune was a perfect sequel to his breakout hit, I Smile. Thank God for Kirk and his ability to be such a prolific and superb songwriter.
2. Better – Hezekiah Walker: Another song that spoke deliverance in the midst of difficult times was the inspirational, influential chorus called Better. Bishop Walker deposits another haunting anthem for the saints to chant through the stormy seasons. Hallelujah, Hez !!!!
3. The Anthem – Todd Dulaney: Speaking of anthems, Todd breathes life into this lovable track by the Planetshakers. The result is a ridiculously powerful praise & worship experience extracted for your listening pleasure.
4. Made A Way – Travis Greene: This song by the good-natured Greene surged to the top of the charts like a meteor. Made A Way has been making Travis a tour-de-force for the last year, following in the footsteps of his 1st hit single, Intentional.
5. Who Am I – Joyous Celebration: This elevating, empowering anthem from South Africa’s ensemble is a gem from Bethlehem. Think of the best of Kirk Franklin, Donald Lawrence & Richard Smallwood rolled into one. A masterpiece worth downloading.
6. You’re Bigger – Jekalyn Carr: This beautiful ballad begins to put things in perspective. “You’re bigger than the universe, you’re bigger than the sun and the stars, you’re bigger than the things that can tear me apart…” Fear not, there’s a bigger power than you and me. This anointed young lady and her sister produce one of the best known songs of the year. Praise God for anointed children. Psalm 8:2
7. You Deserve It – JJ Hairston: This spirited selection is already JJ Hairston’s most popular song to date. Showing no signs of slowing down, the refrain is resonating with righteous folks from coast-to-coast. If this single is any indication of what the album sounds like, I’ll take two copies to go.
8. It’s Alright, It’s OK – Shirley Caesar: The First Lady of Gospel music is still making music that’s relevant, rich and rocks your socks right off. The smooth single featuring Caesar and Anthony Hamilton is a blend of old soul and great Gospel. The result is a song that connect with different genre lovers and generations. Way to go, Pastor Caesar !!!
9. I’m Good – Tim Bowman, Jr.: Now this song right here was hip and holy, faith-based and funky, devoted and dance-centric. It was also the single on heavy, heavy rotation on radio…and rightfully so. Tim Bowman, Jr went from the back of the class to a favorite of the masses with this fun-filled track that will leave you saying, “I’m Good too”.
10. God Provides – Tamela Mann: The 2017 Grammy award winning song will induce you into a Holy Ghost stupor. The ballad bears all the elements of a hit you cannot get out of your head. Once again, the tag team combination of Kirk Franklin as songwriter and Tamela Mann as artist yields another keepsake for ages to come. Sing Tammy !!!!